How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrakeLAW Your Own Question
DrakeLAW, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 740
Experience:  Attorney at Drake Law Firm PLC
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
DrakeLAW is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am currently in chapter 13, and havent been able to pay

Customer Question

i am currently in chapter 13, and havent been able to pay due to medical issues, and car repairs, etc. can I get the car removed from the bk to continue? this bk hasnt been as helpful as I need, and may need to get a discharge, what can I do? what SHOULD i do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  DrakeLAW replied 1 year ago.

Hello, you can voluntarily dismiss your chapter 13 if you want. Also yes, you can remove the car from the BK and motion for a modified plan with a new payment. Also, you can motion for a moratorium which can pause the plan for up to 4 months and let you deal with your issues if they are short term and you want to stay in the 13. You could also do a moratorium followed by a modification to lower your payment. Good luck!