How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 102146
Experience:  Licensed attorney in private practice.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I a, looking to vacate a satisfied judgment against me in

Customer Question

I a, looking for help to vacate a satisfied judgment against me in Accomack, VA. Was wondering of the process as well as if it can be done.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. If the Plaintiff refuses to mar the judgment as satisfied, the Defendant can file a Motion for Judgment to be Marked Satisfied with the Court, serve the other party, and have a quick hearing. Once the Court sees that the judgment has been paid, then it should then mark the judgment as satisfied. It is not dismissed, but, it is no longer outstanding. Motion can be found HERE.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith by rating me positively.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Plantiff gave me the paper work to show it has been satisfied. I am wanting to get this removed from my credit reports and looking at getting it vacated. I wish I knew this was going on prior as it was only $157 Judgment. Need to know if this can be done now or is it to late for it to be removed completely after satisfying the Judgment.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

I think you misunderstand. Even once a judgment has been paid, it remains on your credit. It simply is marked "paid," as opposed to "unpaid." An unpaid judgment brings down your score much lower than a paid judgment would.

If you want to erase it from your credit history, you have to DISPUTE it and state that it never happened. (Let me know if you need links on how to dispute with each bureau.) However, the Plaintiff then has to AGREE that the judgment never happened. If so, then the credit bureau would take the judgment off as though it never existed. Of course, the Plaintiff has to agree to do this - they do not have to.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!