Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

How many years must I be a resident of Texas to have the

Customer Question

How many years must I be a resident of Texas to have the full benefit of their bankruptcy law and must I have owned my home from the first day I became a resident or my I purchase the house at anytime during my residency to have my home protected from bankruptcy.
Submitted: 2 years ago via LawDepot.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

You can file your bankruptcy in the Federal District where you are living now once you have lived there for 91 days. Until you have lived in your current District for 91 days, you must file in the Federal District where you came from.

Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.

Also, Texas has an unlimited homestead exemption, but there area acreage limitations. Here's a link you can read: http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/texas-bankruptcy-homestead-exemption.html