How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 117437
Experience:  Attorney At Law handling education matters.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If my husband and I jointly owned property with an

Customer Question

If my husband and I jointly owned property with an
individual who decided to
file chapter 7 and no longer pay their portion of the loan leaving us to pay her portion,along with ours and
than us finally having to file chapter 13 and settle with the bank that owned the loan making monthy pyts for 3 years. Is it possible to sue for any personal sort of damages? Possibly half (I feel she should have to pay half to us) the agreed amount we paid the bank over that 3 years?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, once the person filed bankruptcy, they received protection from suit for that debt. You could not sue the person for any damages, since the debt was extinguished to them and for you to sue them now for any debts that you incurred because they filed for bankruptcy and to do so could find you charged with contempt of the bankruptcy court order.