How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 31737
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mom "willed" her property to me while under chapter 13 in

Customer Question

My mom "willed" her property to me while under chapter 13 in a handwritten letter. Can she do that?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist. Is your mom still living?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ive attached the letter
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Thanks. This document could be considered a holographic will under CA law IF IT IS SIGNED BY HER. Basically, to be valid, the will must be hand written and signed by the person. Here's a good link you can read:'s another good article about CA law on holographic wills and the potential pitfalls: doesn't appear that she actually signed the document, so that could make it invalid. Also, if your mother is able, she'd be much better off having a local lawyer draft a formal will with witnesses, etc.In regard to bankruptcy, your ability to inherit would depend on what she owns at the time of her death, claims of creditors, etc. Thus, if she left you property or money or assets, those things could be used to pay creditors FIRST before you are entitled to inherit anything.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She did sign the document. It appears to me that she used the word "willed" in the wrong context. Her intension was for me to take over the house because she could no longer afford the mortgage. Heres a full version of the letter
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
I can't see her signature on the document.....but if it is there, then it could be considered a holographic will. However, the will would not take affect until after she was deceased, so if she wants to transfer title to the house now, she needs to sign a deed.