Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Bankruptcy Law

I have a judgement I received in US Bankruptcy court against

Customer Question
a person (Laurie) who defrauded...
I have a judgement I received in US Bankruptcy court against a person (Laurie) who defrauded me. I was told by my attorney I needed to refile it within 7 years or else it would be invalid. Laurie has real estate in the county where I reside and I filed
a copy of the "agreed judgment" signed by the judge in US bankruptcy court on 8/1/2011. Can you tell me what I need to do to keep the judgment valid so to protect my interest if she sells her real estate.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
7/10/2015
Bankruptcy Lawyer: Terry L., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
you need to record your judgment against the assets of the debtor. You can do so at the county recorders office. Record a copy of the judgment, using their PIN #. The County recorders office can assist you.
I recorded the judgement at the county recorders office. This is all I was told to do. Do I need to re-record the same document at the end of the time period or do I need to file another suit against her.
yes, you will need to re-record it to keep the judgment alive. you can do this 2 times, for a total of 21 years.
A) by re-recording you just mean recording the original document?
B) At current pace the debt will not be paid in 31 years. That's 10 more than 21. Suggestions?
You can foreclose, or you can move to garnish wages. You would re-record it, probably just a form to renew at the clerk, but you can ask them to confirm
Terry L.
Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney