How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Terry L. Your Own Question
Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 2900
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Terry L. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If my exhusband owes me back child support and is in

Customer Question

If my exhusband owes me back child support and is in contempt of the court order to pay it and them files for Chapter 13 listing me as his only creditor does the bankruptcy filing stay the contempt case? His bankruptcy lawyer is telling me I can be sanctioned
for going ahead with my case, also he filed his bankruptcy AFTER our court date was already scheduled and he hasn't made a payment in 2 years and was evading service but the judge allowed Service By Publication after seeing that he was intentionally ducking
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 2 years ago.
yes, it does stop the contempt case. chapter 13 cases give you the protection, since the bankruptcy must pay the entire default to you in full during the case. Also, there won't be a discharge in the bankruptcy case if he doesn't stay current on the payments.