Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy law questions? Ask a bankruptcy lawyer.

I filed chapter 13 bankruptcy 5 years ago in Oklahoma I have…

Customer Question
I filed chapter 13 bankruptcy...
I filed chapter 13 bankruptcy 5 years ago in Oklahoma I have a pontoon boat that was surrendered back to bank of America it was never picked up. Can I get a clean title under abandonment
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
6/15/2015
Bankruptcy Lawyer: Attorney2020, Attorney replied 3 years ago
Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Attorney

Yes, here is how to file a claim so gain clear title to abandoned property.

Filing a claim. A person, excluding another state, claiming an interest in any property valued at $50 or more that was paid or delivered as abandoned property may file a claim with the State Treasurer, which must consider and decide on such claim within 90 days after it is filed. The procedure is essentially the same where the claimant is another state, except that the claim will be allowed only in those circumstances where the other state has some basis for claiming a custodial relationship with the property as enumerated in the statute.

Any person claiming an interest in property delivered to the Treasurer may begin the process by filling out a claim form online (https://www.ok.gov/unclaimed/index.php) after performing a successful online search.

The State Treasurer may hold a hearing and receive evidence before rendering a decision on the claim. A person dissatisfied with a decision of the State Treasurer or whose claim was not acted upon within 90 days after the filing date may, within 90 days after the decision of the State Treasurer or 180 days after filing the claim not acted upon, bring an action to establish a claim against the State Treasurer in the district court of the county of the person's residence or the District Court of Oklahoma County.

Oklahoma Unclaimed Property Resources

If you're looking for additional information on unclaimed property, we recommend contacting your state's governmental agency that oversees the administration of this area of the law. For help in answering a specific unclaimed property question in Oklahoma, contact the following:

Oklahoma State Treasurer
Unclaimed Property Division
4545 North Lincoln Boulevard
Suite 106
Oklahoma City, OK###-##-####
Phone:(###) ###-####
Fax:(###) ###-####
E-mail: *****@******.***
Website: https://www.ok.gov/unclaimed/index.php

I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. Thank you.

PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER.

PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER.

Otherwise I will not receive any credit. Thank you.