How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 31729
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My monthly alimony to my ex wife is $2,800. Can I pay her $1,800

Customer Question

My monthly alimony to my ex wife is $2,800. Can I pay her $1,800 a month and pay the annual difference of $12,000 as a lump payment once a year?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'm a Bankruptcy litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.
You certainly file a motion with the court and ask the judge to approve this arrangement. If you do that, your ex-wife would be allowed to consent or object to the request. Obviously, if she were to agree, this would be a simple issue. But, if she objects, then the judge would have to determine what is most reasonable and best for each of you.
If she can prove that she can't make it without the extra $1000 per month, then the judge may refuse the change. But, if she can lake it without the extra money and you can prove that this would remove you from a financial bind, then the judge could grant it.
Thus, it really just depends on what you can agree to or what the judge will approve after hearing each of your arguments for nd against it.
But, in order to get the ball rolling, you'll have to file a motion with the court and ask the court approve the change.

Related Bankruptcy Law Questions