Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
15345323

Can my drivers License be suspended in a accident

Customer Question

Can my drivers License be suspended for being in a accident with no insurance. Can filing bankruptcy prevent my license from being taken.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 2 years ago.
yes, it could be suspended for driving without valid insurance. Bankruptcy can discharge any accident claim owed to whom the debtor hit/insurance company, but does not discharge any tickets/fines associated with it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can Bankruptcy prevent my License from being suspended for being in a accident with any insurance.
Expert:  Terry L. replied 2 years ago.
no, it cannot.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So I can list the other person as a creditor, before he decides to sue.
Expert:  Terry L. replied 2 years ago.
Yes, you can get rid of the obligation for property damage and medical in the bankruptcy
Expert:  Terry L. replied 2 years ago.
do you have any other questions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there any way to prevent a license to be suspended due to driving with no insurance
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would a Chapter 7 bankruptcy be approved if the other driver estimated debt is the only debt listed in my bankruptcy proceedings. Is your bank account considered no exempt our exempt
Expert:  Terry L. replied 2 years ago.
no way to stop the license issue. yes, it could be approved if it is the only debtthe bank account depends on the amounts and the exemptions you have available in your state.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So basically the amount I think I'm going to get sued for is enough for a chapter 7 bankruptcy to be granted.
Expert:  Terry L. replied 2 years ago.
it will be discharged if not intentional and no alcohol or drugs
Expert:  Terry L. replied 2 years ago.
please rate me 5 stars when clicking accept. thanks and good luck