How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 7305
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am writing on behalf of someone who received a judgment of

Customer Question

I am writing on behalf of someone who received a judgment of strict foreclosure on a Bridgeport CT primary single family residence. Right before the law day, they filed a Chapter 7 bankruptcy. What are their options now?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 2 years ago.
In a strict foreclosure, the court sets the redemption period, which is the time between the judgment and the Law Day. If the home owner does not redeem (pay off the mortgage debt) by the Law Day, they lose ownership of the home. By filing Chapter 7, they used the stay of proceedings under the Federal Bankruptcy Act to postpone the Law Day until the bankruptcy trustee releases the property. The the court will usually set a new Law Day date. Their options are 1) pay off the mortgage entirely by selling the property or by refinancing; 2) working out a reinstatement program to catch up their account. I presume that mortgage lenders will do that, but their CT attorney is the best person to advise on that possibility.
I hope that this information is helpful and that you will enter a positive rating. That is the only way I will be compensated for assisting you. Bonuses are appreciated too. I will be happy to answer follow-up questions which relate to this one. Also, since we are not acting as your attorney be sure to confirm our information with a local attorney. Thanks for choosing JUST ANSWER.