How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 5156
Experience:  37 plus years of experience specializing in bankruptcy law
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am being sued by a law firm to collect on a credit card debt.

This answer was rated:

I am being sued by a law firm to collect on a credit card debt. I filed a general denial asking them prove they have the right to collect, as evidence by a transfer of signed agreement from zero to present. They responded with the credit card company name and account number and that was it but now are requesting from me all documents pertaining to this debt and admission. Am I to supply what I had asked THEM to supply?? Unfortunately I am in financial straits and should probably declare bankruptcy, as that is what I am but unfortunately don't have enough money to even do that. Should I answer their requests and give up the documents, if I even have them, and go to trial and explain I can not pay this debt?... or somehow borrow the money and file for bankruptcy? I do not like either option but unfortunately this is the rock and hard place I am under.

Over 35 years, I have assisted my clients with debt problems having filed more than 32000 Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 Bankruptcy petitions.


My best advise is to reduce your stress and file bankruptcy. That way, you do not have to respond further to the attorney. As for costs, most attorneys allow you to make payments and you should check Craig's List as many attorneys advertise discount rates on the site.


I wish you well. Please rate my answer ok or better as I am not paid unless you rate my answer. Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your response. That's kinda what I thought you'd say. But... the papers say I have a certain time limit and need to answer them soon. If I do not answer their requests that they have filed with the court doesn't that put me in a more difficult place? Can a bankruptcy attorney still help me?

If you file BK, you can ignore the papers and the time limitations as a BK stops all state actions. And even if a judgment was already entered against you, the BK would wipe out the judgment. Regardless, you still should not delay and retain an attorney as soon as you can. Likewise, once you do, he will call the other attorney and advise that he represents you and that will stop the other attorney from going forward.


Please rate my answer ok or better so that I am paid for helping you.

dylatess and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, thanks.

you are welcome.