Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Bankruptcy Law

I am in Ontario and trying to help a senior to deal with a

creditor. Can a credit...
I am in Ontario and trying to help a senior to deal with a creditor. Can a credit collector use a garnishee against both Canada pension and pension from the company they are retired from.
9/16/2013
John A. Flynn, Esq.
The answer would appear to be that a Canadian pension is exempt from garnishment. See: http://www.advocacycentreelderly.org/appimages/file/CPP_&_OAS_Benefits_Exempt_from_Garnishment(1).pdf
John A. Flynn, Esq.

Well I guess great but if they can and this person really uses all his pension each month to live as it seems all seniors do these days. So if they where allowed to use a garnishee how do they calculate the amount that they could get from him each month

It seems that 30% is the maximum garnishment allowed in Canada. See: http://www.ehow.com/list_6141099_wage-garnishment-rules-canada.html
John A. Flynn, Esq.
John A. Flynn, Esq.
John A. Flynn, Esq.
John A. Flynn, Esq., Attorney