cfortunato
cfortunato, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.
14232603

Have friend that can only work 20 hours a week at $7.50. He

Have friend that can only work 20 hours a week at $7.50. He has extreme back and knee problems and I have helped him to submit his application for SSDI, but it will still be a few weeks before we know on that.

He has about $5,000 credit debt that he hasn't been able to pay on. His question is how can he fill for bankruptcy without out having to pay out a lot of money for an attorney. His dept is on three separate accounts. What would be an average rate to fill bankruptcy if there are no other options.

Thanks
Scott

cfortunato :

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Bankruptcy and Consumer Protection attorney here to assist you.

Customer:

hello

cfortunato :

Although possible, it is extremely difficult to file a Bankruptcv completely on ones own - without some outside help.

Customer:

I thought so

cfortunato :

If a debtor cannot afford to pay around $1200 to a Bankruptcy attorney to fill out and file the papers, the next best thing

cfortunato :

is to pay a Bankruptcy preparer around $200 to fill out the papers, which the debtor can file on his own.

Customer:

OK. What about state legal aid. Is that something we can check on? Also, what is the best way to find a preparer, and what are the chances his/her work would be accepted compared to an attorney?

cfortunato :

Most Legal Aid's do not handle Bankruptcies, but your friend should certainly check his local Legal Aid to see if they do handle Bankruptcies. Additionally, some state bar associations have pro bono attorneys available to handle various types of cases.

cfortunato :

So he should also call the Kansas Bar Association

cfortunato :

to find out if there are any

cfortunato :

pro bono Bankruptcy attorneys available.

cfortunato :

The number is

cfortunato :

(785)(NNN) NNN-NNNN/strong>.

cfortunato :

I am of the opinion that, in general, Bankruptcy preparers produce work that

cfortunato :

is just as likely to be acceptable to a Bankruptcy court as Bankruptcy attorneys produce.

cfortunato :

This is a recommended website to find a Bankruptcy preparer:

cfortunato :

www.usabkassociates.com

Customer:

OK, thanks for that information. We will check on all of this. Does the website give any performance ratings on prepares

cfortunato :

It was incorrect for me to say ' to find a Bankruptcy preparer', as that website actually provides the service.

cfortunato :

The link I provided does not seem to be working. Please look at this link:

cfortunato :

http://usabkassociates.com/usabk/index.asp?sek=bankruptcy%20preparers&gclid=CM-xwKqMzrkCFTRo7AodTicA5Q

cfortunato :

http://usabkassociates.com/usabk/index.asp?sek=bankruptcy%20preparers&gclid=CM-xwKqMzrkCFTRo7AodTicA5Q.

Customer:

I understand. He is having some serious health issue, but can't afford to see a doctor or pay for any med's they might prescribe to him. I am also concerned he is going to end up in the hospital soon. Any suggestions on how to handle medical bills that may happen in near future while in bankruptcy filing

Customer:

I'd like to get him the help he needs, but don't know how.

cfortunato :

Any medical bills that accrue before filing a Bankruptcy can be discharged in that Bankruptcy.

cfortunato :

Perhaps he can wait to file.

Customer:

That's what we may have to do. He hasn't paid on these three bills for several months. A few months more won't matter. I can help him get a plan in place by following your other suggestions and then wait to see how things turn out. If he can get on SSDI that would help alot on medical bills. I can't think of anything else. Thanks.

cfortunato :

You're welcome!

Customer:

Good bye