How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just completed ch 13 payments, with my ex husband (common

This answer was rated:

I just completed ch 13 payments, with my ex husband (common not legally). Will take 60 days to receive discharge. We separated mid way through plan and just left everything the same without telling any one we were separated and continued to make payments just as if we were together.We had no property to divide either. This was very mutual and civil. Can I remarry now ? or will that skew the discharge ? May seem trivial, i don't want to destroy 5 years of payments and this finally being over. Oh and we are in Texas.

*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.* Hello, Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions! Did you complete the divorce process through the court and obtain a divorce decree regarding your common-law marriage?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No we did not.

Thank you for your response Kristy

Good news –Since you have completed your payment plan, a remarriage will not affect your discharge. Therefore once you have officially ended your common-law marriage, you may remarry without concern for the new marriage's effect on your bankruptcy

Now for the bad news– unfortunately a common-law marriage can only be terminated through the court.. Although no court procedure is required to establish a common-law marriage, a court order is required to end the marriage.

I would be glad to continue our conversation and respond to any follow-up questions that you may have.
Ellen and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you very much for the "excellent service" rating. If I can be of assistance in the future, begin your question with: "For FiveStarLaw"