Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
15345323

In December 2012 I paid 360 Yachting in Key Largo Florida a

In December 2012 I paid 360 Yachting in Key Largo Florida a $3000 deposit for a yacht charter for January 2014. The contract that I signed indicated that I was entitled to a full refund minus $200 up to 60 days prior. In March of this year I cancelled. The company has not refunded the deposit and the owner told me that they don't have the money to refund. They recently posted this on their website: "360 Yachting has been closed for business due to bankrupcy". I do not know if they have filed for bankruptcy. What action do you suggest that I take? Do I have any recourse with a reasonable likelihood of success? I can provide a copy of the contract.

Terry L. :

Hi, thanks for your question. You should hire a lawyer for specific legal advice. No attorney client relationship is created here.

Terry L. :

You should check with the company and ask them for their case #XXXXX you can search public records too online at the local bankruptcy court too.

Terry L. :

If they filed a chapter 7, you should have received notice.

Terry L. :

IF there are assets in the case that are to be liquidated, you can file a claim.

Terry L. :

You may only get a percentage of the claim.

Terry L. :

if they have filed, and there is assets, you can contact the trustee assigned to the case.

Terry L. :

If there is no bankruptcy case, you can sue them. Keep in mind, if you win, and they subsequently file bankruptcy, you could be forced to turn funds back over to the bankruptcy estate as well.

Terry L. :

You may want to contact an attorney to handle these claims

Terry L. :

Do you have any questions?

Customer:

How can I access the relevant public bankruptcy records?

Terry L. :

You can go to the local bankruptcy court, they have online access there

Terry L. :

it's subscription based, otherwise you can have a bankruptcy attorney search for you too

Customer:

So that would be the court in Key Largo?

Terry L. :

Any bankruptcy court can search the state bankruptcy logs

Customer:

OK thanks for the advice

Terry L. :

Good luck, I hope you get your money back!

Terry L. :

Terry