How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask cfortunato Your Own Question
cfortunato, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 8023
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
cfortunato is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I plan to file for bankruptcy in 6 months. Can I transfer

This answer was rated:

I plan to file for bankruptcy in 6 months. Can I transfer non-exempt property (firearms and wedding rings) to my mother to repay a loan to her for down payment on a home I purchased previously? I want to transfer this property sooner than 120 days before I file bankruptcy so I shouldn't have to show it when I submit my Statement of Financial Affairs on Form B7 under Paragraph 6, Assignments and Receiverships. Is my interpretation correct since she is a preferred insider creditor?

Do trustees have the ability to see what firearms I have previously purchased through the background checks I had to complete? Thanks.


cfortunato :

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Bankruptcy and Consumer Protection attorney here to assist you.

cfortunato :

The Statement of Financial Affairs paragraph that would apply to this type of transfer (firearms and wedding ring to your mother) is 3.C. - not 6.

cfortunato :

If such a transfer is made less than one year before a Bankruptcy is filed, that transfer would belong on paragraph 3.C. of the SOFA.

cfortunato :

Although possible to do so, it is unlikely that a Bankruptcy trustee would try to find out about other firearms you may have purchased. This is because unless the trustee has reason to believe that you have lied on the Bankruptcy petition, trustees usually do not investigate or try to verify the information you have provided on the Bankruptcy petition - as you will be swearing under oath that what the information you provided is true.

I think this is what you wanted to know. If not, please let me know.

Thank you.

cfortunato and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you