How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 38879
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I cannot afford hire an attorney to represent me for a

Customer Question

I cannot afford hire an attorney to represent me for a bankruptcy suit filed against me for a Ponzi scheme. I did have a conference call with a judge this morning. She suggested that I at least get some advice from an attorney before I represent myself. The case is in Washington and I am in California. As, I already said I cannot afford to hire full representation. Can you suggest a was to handle this?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 3 years ago.

A claim of a ponzi scheme is a pretty serious claim. If proved true, it could trigger a criminal investigation against you. Because of this, I believe it is not in your interests to disclose anything about your case in this forum, because if it is discovered by a prosecutor or your opponent, it could be used against you in court.

That said, the only thing that I can competently suggest, if you cannot afford legal counsel is to contact a legal aid organization and see if they will agree to represent you. See this link for the State of Washington.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You didn't tell me anything I didn't already know ...

Expert:  socrateaser replied 3 years ago.
I don't have any way of determining in advance what you may or may not already know. Your question was extremely broad, so I tried to provide you with useful information.

If you have a "specific" question, please ask and I will be happy to answer.

Note: Please understand that neither I nor anyone else at can draft legal pleadings for you to use in court. To do so violates the website policies and is flatly illegal.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't think you will be able to help me ... I am not satisfied with your answer. I don't know what I really expected but I am sure that you will not be able to tell me anything useful .... Sorry .... I don't mean it to be a negative reflection on you . I don't see any point in continuing.