How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Terry L. Your Own Question
Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 2659
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Terry L. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

As a creditor my ex husband filed bankruptcy. His property

Customer Question

As a creditor my ex husband filed bankruptcy. His property settlement to me was $170,000. I was listed as an unsecured creditor. He has now reached the point he might have to pay me in the bankruptcy case and has now filed that his debt to me was partially a contingency and it states in our divorce decree that I will pay the first 100000 on my school loans (down to 100000) then he would have to pay the remaining balance of 70000 of the school loans. Of course this debt to me is not dischargeable so I can never write it off but until he pays me the first 100000 he owes I can't get the debt down to 70000 so never able to reach that unless he pays what he owes me first. So he is not trying to avoid the first 100000 but the second amount of 70000. I might receive 10,000 on the first 100000. Is there any case law that would prevent him from avoiding avoiding the 70,000 debt to me under the contingency issue where he is trying to state I have not met my burden of paying debt down and he is the one preventing me from making the first 100000 down on the loans? Any way to make an argument against his continency argument?
Submitted: 3 years ago via Cornell Legal Info Institute.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 3 years ago.
I'm Fran, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Still waiting on a response do not have answer.

Expert:  Fran-mod replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Angela,

We'll look for a legal professional for you.
Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 3 years ago.
Hello again,

We are still working with our Legal professionals to find you the best possible match. I wanted to touch base to see if you still needed a professional’s assistance.

Please let me know if you would like to continue to wait or if you would like to cancel your question at this time. We sincerely XXXXX XXXXX the extended wait time.

Thank you,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Will I get a refund since I have not got an answer?
Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 3 years ago.
If you would like to cancel your question, you may either leave your deposit in your account to use for future questions or you may request a refund. Would you like to continuing waiting for us to find a professional to help you?

Thank you,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Give me a refund please. Thank you.