Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

Hi, I am planning to file Chapter 7 Bankruptcy. I have

I am planning to file Chapter 7 Bankruptcy. I have a private student loan with Wells Fargo that I know will NOT be discharged (nor do I want it to be, since I can afford this). However, my father is a co-signer of this student loan. Even though it will not be discharged, will the court or bank inform my father I am filing for bankruptcy? I do not want my father to be involved, nor do I want him to know I am filing!!

Kirk Adams :

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Bankruptcy litigation attorney. Thanks for using JA! I'll be glad to assist you.

Kirk Adams :

The bankruptcy court is not likely to notify your dad - - I've never known that to occur.

Kirk Adams :

Also, if you continue paying, the lender isn't likely to contact or notify your father either because the debt is being paid, and since it's not dischargeable, there's really no need to notify him.

Customer:

Thank you Kirk. Yes, I plan to continue paying the loan. I have never been late on this student loan.

Kirk Adams :

The ONLY real possibility for him to find out is if he checks his credit. If the account is listed on his report, there will be a notation that the account is in bankruptcy.

Customer:

There will be a notation that the account is in bankruptcy even if the account is not discharged?

Kirk Adams :

Yes.

Customer:

If possible, i'd like to ask you one more question.

Customer:

I am a new user of Just Answer.

Kirk Adams :

Sure. No problem.

Customer:

My father owns an American Express credit card. He has me on it as an Authorized User, so I have a card as well. I am not a co-signer. He provided this card for me for emergencies only.

My question is: will my bankruptcy negative affect this american express card? Even though i am not legally responsible to pay the debt?

Customer:

I do not want to involve him in this or negatively impact his credit/financial status.

Customer:

Or is this not considered my debt and will not be involved in my bankruptcy case?

Kirk Adams :

No, your bankruptcy should have no affect on his AmEx card since you're not an account holder/

Customer:

Thank you!

Kirk Adams :

Being an authorized user doesn't make you the party obligated to pay the debt. One the account holder is liable, so you filing should not affect this as it's not your debt.

Customer:

Ok, thank you very much.

Kirk Adams :

No problem THANK YOU for allowing me to help!