Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
15345323

If a debtor filing a BK who lives in the Eastern District of

If a debtor filing a BK who lives in the Eastern District of NY which has two bankruptcy courts in the district choose which court to file at? The debtor wishes to file at the court closer to the attorneys office even though it is more then two hours away from home.

Terry L. :

Hi, thanks for your question. You should hire a lawyer for specific legal advice. No attorney client relationship is created here.

Terry L. :

The case is filed based on the county where the debtor lives

Terry L. :

The case is filed electronically as well thru the attorney.

Terry L. :

The attorney will handle all coverage matters, regardless of where the hearings are at

Terry L. :

Did you have any questions?

Customer:

The attorney I want to use is near the court that is farther away from my home and in another county. My question was can I opt to file in the other court?

Terry L. :

You don't have a choice

Terry L. :

it is based on where you live

Terry L. :

Not where the attorney is

Terry L. :

The attorney should be able to file in the area you live and attend the hearings there, if not, you will need to find another attorney.

Terry L. :

Any other questions?

Terry L. :

If you have any further questions, let me know. if not, please click on accept to close the question, thanks

Terry L. :

Terry