cfortunato
cfortunato, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.
14232603

I heaard declare bankruptcy chapter 11, or chapter 7 stop eviction

I heaard declare bankruptcy chapter 11, or chapter 7 stop eviction process, is it true ?

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Bankruptcy attorney here to assist you.

Your potential tenant cannot file another Chapter 7 for at least another 3 years, and it would not make sense for him to file a Chapter 11, because it costs $1,000 to file a Chapter 11. But he could file a Chapter 13 at any time.

If your potential tenant did file a Bankruptcy, that would only temporarily suspend the eviction process. The suspension would not have to last longer than a few weeks, and then the eviction proceeding could resume, in the same manner as before the Bankruptcy was filed.

I think this is what you wanted to know. If not, please let me know.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

he was approved chapter 7 bankruptcy in 2008, how many year he can apply again ? according your answer, 3 years he can apply, meaning now he can apply again anytime, right ?

Thanks for help.

Someone who files a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy has to wait 8 years before filing another one. If he filed in 2008, he has to wait until 2016 (another 3 years from now) before filing another one.