WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Experience:  14 years exp., CH 7 AND 13 Bankruptcy cases, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT NYSID AND ALL MAJOR UNIONS
16356563

I am in a position that I will be filing Chapter 7 bankruptcy

I am in a position that I will be filing Chapter 7 bankruptcy later this winter or next spring. I want to marry my girlfriend of 4 years, but have held off due to the forthcoming bankruptcy thinking it would hurt her and our future. But maybe I am wrong. Is there any reason to hold off getting married?
Thank you,
Daryl

WALLSTREETESQ :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarificati on

WALLSTREETESQ :

This is a common issue,

WALLSTREETESQ :

being married in no way will hurt her financial situation,

WALLSTREETESQ :

the only downfall is that her income would have to be included in your petition,

WALLSTREETESQ :

as all household income is counted when a person files a chapter 7 bankruptcy, and that may make your household income higher than the state median,

Customer:

Thank you...that makes sense.