How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Terry L. Your Own Question
Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 2671
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Terry L. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I filed for bankruptcy in 2003 which was discharged

Customer Question

I filed for bankruptcy in 2003 which was discharged in 2004. I had refinanced the house prior to bankruptcy in order to try to get ahead. No such luck.
My house was exempt since it was underwater and had no value. I reaffirmed my mortgage and continued payments until the house was foreclosed on in 2006.

In 2010 I was contacted by a law firm that was seeking parties to a class action suit against unfair lending practices regarding my 2004 refinance. In 2011 the firm reached a settlement on behalf of over 1000 participants because the refinances were illegally handled, then sold to US Bank who knew what they were buying. I was told I was to receive a check for 19,000 - the interest, fees, etc that I had paid on the mortgage.

Out of the blue swoops the replacement trustee (the original trustee for my bankruptcy passed away 1 year ago) This trustee has the check made out to himself as trustee for me and me, jointly. Now he has petitioned the bankruptcy court to "allow me" to keep half of the settlement.

The settlement (asset) did not exist until after 2010. Long after the house was foreclosed, the bankruptcy discharged, etc. I have contacted my original bankruptcy lawyer, but he seems to be unaware of how to proceed.

I feel I am being duped out of half of a settlement by a recently assigned trustee who claims in his motion to compromise that I assisted him in filling out the claim forms for the settlement - (never happened) and that I was served with a copy of the motion which has a very limited time to respond - I only received a copy of the motion because my bankruptcy lawyer's assistant sent me a copy. I never saw the original motion. I never agreed to anything, I don't even know who this trustee is since I live in Massachusetts and my bankruptcy was discharged 8 years ago in Missouri....

Any advice?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 4 years ago.
I'm Fran, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.