Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Bankruptcy Law

Can a creditor get a court judgement against me without me

knowing about it?...
Can a creditor get a court judgement against me without me knowing about it?
7/17/2013
WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney

WALLSTREETESQ :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarificati on

WALLSTREETESQ :

A Judgment is a Court order, and must abide by Civil Court procedures, which would have included,

Customer:

Can a creditor get a court judgement against me without me knowing anything about it?

WALLSTREETESQ :

notice to you,

WALLSTREETESQ :

if you were never given notice of a law suit, you can go to the Court Clerks office,

Customer:

A judement shows up on my credit report, but I was never notified of any action.

WALLSTREETESQ :

and review the file, and if no affidavit of service was issued,

WALLSTREETESQ :

you can file a motion to vacate the judgment,

WALLSTREETESQ :

due to lack of service,

Customer:

you are awesome! What if they sent it to a wrong address and someone else signed for it?

WALLSTREETESQ :

A Judgment cannot be issued without a lawsuit and service made upon a defendant

WALLSTREETESQ :

That is their fault,

Customer:

Thank you so very much!!

WALLSTREETESQ :

you should go to the Court clerk, and review the file,

WALLSTREETESQ :

if that is the case, you can file the motion to vacate, and the judgment would be lifted,

Customer:

will do it first thing tomorrow. Thanks a million.

WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney