cortrightlaw
cortrightlaw, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney practicing Bankruptcy Law including Chapter 7, Chapter 11, Chapter 12, and Chapter 13.
63110502

I filed a Chapter 7 bankruptcy that was discharged in 2001

I filed a Chapter 7 bankruptcy that was discharged in 2001 when I was single again after a divorce. I have since remarried. Due to loss of job because company closed and illness we will need to file bankruptcy. I own one vehicle and the other was just repossessed. When we went to see an attorney and we were told that because I had filed a Chapter 7 bankruptcy that we would have to file a Chapter 13 or get divorced and file a chapter 7 individually. Needless to say we were shocked. Is this true?

cortrightlaw : That does not sound true based upon the facts you have stated. You can file chapter 7 every 8 years so you are well past that. The only other issue is that if the attorney felt your income was to high? That is what normally forces filers into a chapter 13.
Customer:

So you are saying that we can both still file a Chapter 7 jointly unless a our income is too high and then we would have to file a Chapter 13

That is correct, you can look up the median income for your area to roughly determine if you qualify jointly for a chapter 7, your income for the 6 months prior to filing is used to determine your eligibility.