How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 31765
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im considering filing Chapter 7 Bankruptcy and I want to keep

This answer was rated:

Im considering filing Chapter 7 Bankruptcy and I want to keep my home Iam current on the mortgage The house is valued at $150,000 I have a mortgage of $42,000 and a Home equity loan of $31,00 What are my best options or choices. I believe the homestead exception in RI is $2000.00
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Bankruptcy litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to help.

If you are current on your mortgage and file chapter 7, the best thing you can do is offer to enter into a reaffirmation agreement with the lenders of you mortgage and line of credit.

Also, I believe Rhode Island has a $300,000 homestead exemption for bankruptcy filings, so you should be safe:

Thus, your equity should be safe, and if you reaffirm the debt and continue to pay, you should be able to keep your home.
Roger and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you