How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask cortrightlaw Your Own Question
cortrightlaw, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 513
Experience:  Attorney practicing Bankruptcy Law including Chapter 7, Chapter 11, Chapter 12, and Chapter 13.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
cortrightlaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother, who is a married, legally disabled individual in

This answer was rated:

My mother, who is a married, legally disabled individual in the state of Tennessee and whos only income is social security of ~200 a month, was recently served a civil summons to appear before a judge for the balance left after a repossessed automobile (about 7k). What if anything will come of these proceedings, and should we be concerned about any income or property being taken as a result of any judgement against her, or due to her inability to pay will anything at all happen?

cortrightlaw : Since her only income is social security they will not be able to attach that income. But if she has any other assets such as dash savings or property in her name that could be at risk. It would be a good idea for her to meet with a local bankruptcy lawyer prior to the hearing. That attor ey could go over her complete financial picture and see if she has any exposure to worry about.

She owns property with her husband assessed at 20,000 and a vehicle appraised at 5,000, they are quite poor, why she was even given a loan in the first place is beyond me. Other than attempt to garnish wages that can be garnished or take / put a lien on property, that's all they can do correct?

cortrightlaw : They could possibly attempt to put a lien on the property in her name.

So it is essentially just an unsecured debt now


like a credit card

cortrightlaw : Yes unless they can find something to secure it to

What type of local attorney would you recommend I consult to help with this

cortrightlaw and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you