Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
9968427

Can I take my name off of credit cards? What about automatic

Can I take my name off of credit cards? What about automatic debt? for automobile? Mortgage debt? Medical debt? Will I be responsible for everything in my name?
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

Thank you so much for your new question.

Perhaps it would be helpful if you explained your situation in more detail. Is your spouse terminally ill? Is your spouse considering the bankruptcy?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes he is terminal. We owe on a home and car and have the debt so I am trying to figure the best solution now

So sorry to hear that. What is the amount of equity in the car and home (equity is the amount that an item could be sold for less than the debt owed)? Do you own other assets?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No equity no assets

Unfortunately there is not a perfect solution. You would remain liable on all of the joint debt.

Removing your name would not affect your liability since the debt has already been incurred. Since your husband is terminally ill, he will likely be incurring many more medical bills. You can be held liable for those bills.

Your best option may be to file a chapter 7 bankruptcy after your husband passes away.

A chapter 7 bankruptcy would eliminate all of the medical bills, credit card debt and other personal liability that you may have. Since your car and home do not have any equity, you could choose to keep your car and home and continue to make the payments or surrender them in the bankruptcy

I would be glad to respond to any follow-up questions that you may have.