How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask cfortunato Your Own Question
cfortunato, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 8023
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
cfortunato is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am trying to transfer money from my IRA to my ex-wife for

This answer was rated:

I am trying to transfer money from my IRA to my ex-wife for a divorce settlement. It has to be done in the same bank, USAA Federal Savings Bank. She has horrible credit ... she applied for her own credit cards including some from USAA and hasn't made a payment on them for several years. In order for her to be able to open an IRA account, USAA needs her to declare personal bankruptcy.

Given her financial situation, she is struggling to pay lawyers fee to declare bankruptcy. Is there a way to do this herself, either online or another way?

cfortunato :

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Bankruptcy and Consumer Protection attorney here to assist you.

cfortunato :

Although possible, it is extremely difficult for anyone to file a Bankruptcy completely on their own. If she cannot, understandably, afford to pay a Bankruptcy attorney $1,200 or more to fill out and file the papers for her,

cfortunato :

she can pay a Bankruptcy preparer $200 to fill out the papers (approximately 60 pages), and then she can file them herself.

cfortunato and 3 other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you