WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Experience:  14 years exp., CH 7 AND 13 Bankruptcy cases, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT NYSID AND ALL MAJOR UNIONS
16356563

Had a chapter 13 discharged back in April after a modification

Had a chapter 13 discharged back in April after a modification reduced the payment terms and length.

Last Wednesday I received a notice that an overpayment check had been mailed to me. Unfortunately, my attorney that had handled my case had somehow given the court my wrong address, close just with a few numbers transposed.

My postman generally still got all notices to us, but apparently, the check did not make it and I received a notice that it had now been sixty days and the overpayment check was being deposited in the courts unclaimed funds registry as unclaimed property.

It's a bit over $2k so obviously I want to get it back. I've been to the Texas unclaimed property search portal but it doesn't show it so I'm curious if maybe there is another route I must take, or if it has simply not been enough time to hit the registry yet.

WALLSTREETESQ :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarificati on

WALLSTREETESQ :

This is a common issue, the money should come in within the next few weeks, Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts
Unclaimed Property Claims Section
P.O. Box 12046
Austin, TexasNNN-NN-NNNN/p>

WALLSTREETESQ :

what you should do now, is send a letter to the office and request a search,

WALLSTREETESQ :

and they should contact you when the funds come in,

WALLSTREETESQ :

also, in TX, there is no time limit to claim funds, so you would be able to get the money when it is accounted for,

Customer:

ok....that is where I ran the web search that didn't show anything yet so sounds as if it needs just a bit more time....just wanted to make sure there wasn't a time limit.

WALLSTREETESQ :

also, they will most likely contact you directly about the funds,

WALLSTREETESQ :

they are required to find the individuals as well.

Customer:

great...I'll just keep checking with them until it shows. Thanks for the information.

WALLSTREETESQ :

I would also email them now, asking them to check on the status of the funds,

WALLSTREETESQ :

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Customer:

good idea. Thanks.

WALLSTREETESQ :

If satisfied please provide us with positive feedback.