How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TJ, Esq. Your Own Question
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 12357
Experience:  JD, MBA
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
TJ, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I filed for bankruptcy in Canada in 2010. I was

This answer was rated:


I filed for bankruptcy in Canada in 2010. I was discharged in Dec 2012. I included our IRS debt in the bankruptcy so it was also discharged under Canadian law. The IRS sent me a letter in Dec 2012 saying that they would not discharge the tax debt under a Canadian bankruptcy discharge.

Is there any way to go to court in the US to enforce the bankruptcy discharge in Canada so that the IRS debt gets discharged? The debt is $100K for tax years 2007, 2008, 2009 and includes interest and penalties to date. I am a Canadian citizen living in Canada who were working in the US as a consultant during those years with a TN Visa.

Thank you
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

In most cases, income tax debt in the US is not dischargeable in bankruptcy. The fact that it is dischargeable in Canada is of no consequence to the IRS since the Canadian courts have no jurisdiction over the IRS. Of course, like your lawyer stated, the discharge likely means that the IRS can do nothing to you in Canada. However, the discharge would not be effective in the US, and a US bankruptcy court would not have any power to enforce the Canadian discharge.

I am truly sorry to give you this bad news, but please understand that it would be unfair to you (and unprofessional of me) to provide you with anything less than an honest response. However, if your concerns were not satisfactorily addressed, then please let me know, and I will be happy to clarify my answer. I do ask that you rate me based upon whether I answered your question, and not based upon whether the answer was good news or bad news. Your positive feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you for using our service!

If you would like to direct additional legal questions to me in the future, then please type "To VAMD" in the subject line of your question.
TJ, Esq. and 2 other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you