Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Can you tell me if the laws regarding what student debt can

Can you tell me if the laws regarding what student debt can be discharged in bankrupcy were retro active or were loans prior to the change not subject to it?
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Kindly use CONTINUE or REPLY button to ask for clarification or follow-up questions.

Response:
The law is retroactive. The law applies to all loans. For more information, click on the link below:

https://www.myeddebt.com/borrower/myoptions_optionsBankruptcy.action

"Whether a bankruptcy discharge relieves an individual of his or her obligation to repay a student loan or grant overpayment is now determined by whether a court has ruled that repayment would impose an undue hardship on the borrower and his or her dependents. If the bankruptcy was filed on or after October 8, 1998, the loan or grant obligation is not affected by a bankruptcy discharge unless the debtor received an undue hardship ruling from the court.

Prior to October 1998 changes in bankruptcy law, whether a loan or grant overpayment was discharged in a bankruptcy depended on different rules, depending on when bankruptcy was filed, how long the student loan had been in repayment, and what kind of student loan the debtor had received. Generally, loans or grant obligations owed and in repayment for more than five years, and later seven years by the time the borrower filed for bankruptcy relief were dischargeable by reason of the age of the debt. Debts owed and in repayment status for shorter periods were dischargeable only if a court ruled that repayment would pose an undue hardship. In addition, a general discharge received in a Chapter 13 (wage earner plan) bankruptcy that was filed before November 5, 1990 was sufficient to discharge a student loan or grant obligation without regard to how long the debt had been owed, even if the debtor failed to prove that repayment would pose an undue hardship."