cfortunato
cfortunato, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.
14232603

I am getting married and I can not file bankruptcy before my

I am getting married and I can not file bankruptcy before my marriage...how will bankruptcy effect my husband if we do not own anything jointly? He does not make over $21,000 yearly and supports 3 of us in the household, so I believe I would pass the means test. I do own a partnership with my husband that has not made any money at this point. How will it effect our partnership? Should I incorporate the business in my husband's name only?

cfortunato :

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Bankruptcy and Consumer Protection attorney here to assist you.

cfortunato :

Do you have any income also?

Customer:

no income at this point

cfortunato :

Since you do not have any income, the main difference in filing after marriage is your future husband's income will have to be included in the Means Test.

cfortunato :

However, since the median income (Means Test) for a family of 3 in Florida is $53,820 per year, you will be easily able to pass the Means Test if you file after your marriage.

Customer:

so if his income is included and we pass the means test then I can go ahead with chapter 7? What about the business partnership...how will that be effected?

cfortunato :

And lastly, your Bankruptcy filing will not in any way affect your future husband or his credit rating.

Customer:

Thank you

You're welcome!
And please have a pleasant day!