How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask WALLSTREETESQ Your Own Question
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 17252
Experience:  14 years exp., CH 7 AND 13 Bankruptcy cases, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT NYSID AND ALL MAJOR UNIONS
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
WALLSTREETESQ is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was legally married to my same partner in Connecticut

Customer Question

I was legally married to my same sex partner in Connecticut in 2010. Shortly thereafter, I discovered she had substantial debt. We decided bankruptcy. She made about $34,000 and I over $100,000. We had a joint bank account. We decided that bankruptcy was
the best way. I paid for the bankruptcy using money borrowed from my tax deferred annuity. After she would not let me get involved or see the paperwork even though I was sure I was mentioned in the bankruptcy as her spouse since NYS and City acknowledged our
Connecticut marraige as legal. We had to get an official NY divorce. I know understand that she may have declared herself as single and/or was using my address and info. In other words, I may be a part of a fraudulant bankruptcy report. How do I find this
out and see this paperwork? How do I report this if she did misrepresent the truth? I am concerned that this may harm me. If the courts knew she was married to me and the salary I make, they probably never would allow this. Please help.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  WALLSTREETESQ replied 4 years ago.
This is a potential serious matter, when she filed bankruptcy, she has to include all household income in her petition, so if you were living with her, your income would have had to be included.
Bankruptcy petitions are public records, so you can go to the Bankruptcy Court Clerks office and search her petition and you can see what she filed, you can also submit a complaint to the US Department of Justice, as they handle bankruptcy fraud, in the NYC area, and they can review her actions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do you have a client base in NYC? I may need representation. Can you e-mail me info.
Expert:  WALLSTREETESQ replied 4 years ago.
I cannot represent customers, however I can advise you to contact the Southern district bankruptcy Court, to find out information on her petition, also if you do retain a NY bankruptcy lawyer, they can find her petition online through the PACER service.
The link below also allow you to obtain copies of the files as well.
Good luck, and if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.
If satisfied please provide us with positive feedback.