Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

Since I make monthly payments on time on my home mortgage,

Since I make monthly payments on time on my home mortgage, is it necessary to re-affirm my payment in Ch 7 bankruptcy? My current mortgage is currently MORE than my value.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Bankruptcy litigation attorney. Thanks for your question.

It is not legally NECESSARY to reaffirm the debt. However, it is in your best interest to do so because your credit report will reflect the reaffirmation and the payments being made. IF you DON'T reaffirm the debt, then your payments will be credited, BUT the payments won't appear on your credit report and the loan will look like it is past due.

Thus, from a credit standpoint, reaffirming the debt is best.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks.......................

No problem! Glad to help.

As I said, getting the reaffirmation in place will help rebuild your credit by allowing your payments to be shown on your credit report. Otherwise, you won't get the credit boost even though you're paying.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.