Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
9968427

Can an exemption be taken in Chap 7 for a $92k value 401K plan

Can an exemption be taken in Chap 7 for a $92k value 401K plan ?
If a new car is purchased within 12 months prior to a Chap 7 filing be fully protected even tho the amount of claimed exempt is $1,400 and the current value is $25k and the loan is $25k?
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

Don't Forget that the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service ! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the law .

Yes.
An exemption may be taken for a 401(k) in its entirety. 401(k)'s are exempt without limitation pursuant to federal bankruptcy law.

Yes
The new car does not have any equity since as the loan value is equal to the current value. Therefore the car is protected provided you continue to make your car payments

I would be glad to respond to any related follow-up questions that you may have.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There are several different collection agencies for many of the credit card companies. Is there a problem if each one is listed and the whole amounts for each even though they may be duplicates?

No it is not a problem. You will want to be certain to list any and all potential creditors even if that means there is a duplication

I'd be happy to help you with any further questions you may have. Simply start your new question that "For FiveStarLaw".
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Doesn't that overstate the debt? Would not want to raise an issue or accusation of fraud.

The collection are typically listed as contingent and the original creditor as noncontingent

JAs per site policy you are required to start a new page for a new question. This is important to me because I am paid by the site for only positive rating on a page. Since you are subscriber you may open a new question on a new page without any additional charge.
If you start your question with "For FiveStarLaw" the question will be directed to me

I will be back online in 30 min.