Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Bankruptcy Law

If I file bankruptcy in MN and all the debt is discharged and

Customer Question
I'm planning on moving to...
If I file bankruptcy in MN and all the debt is discharged and I'm planning on moving to atlanta in August, will I still be able get housing if places check credit history?

Also what about a job? If some employers check credit history?
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
3/12/2013
Bankruptcy Lawyer: WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney replied 4 years ago
WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney

WALLSTREETESQ :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarificati ON

WALLSTREETESQ :

This is a common situation,

WALLSTREETESQ :

in terms of a rental your credit would be poor, and obtaining a new apartment to rent will be difficult, you would need a co signor in most places.

WALLSTREETESQ :

In terms of a job, a credit check is rare, and a bankruptcy filing should not hurt you,

WALLSTREETESQ :

it would not show up on a background check.

WALLSTREETESQ :

The Bankruptcy Code includes provisions specifically prohibiting discrimination in employment based on an employee’s filing a bankruptcy.

The scope of protection varies depending on whether the employer is a government unit or a private employer. Section 525(a) applies to government employers and states in relevant part that a “governmental unit may not deny, revoke, suspend, or refuse to renew a license, permit, charter, franchise, or other similar grant to, condition such a grant to, discriminate with respect to such a grant against, deny employment to, terminate the employment of, or discriminate with respect to employment against, a person that is or has been a debtor under this title….” 11 U.S.C. § 525(a). Notably, this section prohibits both discrimination in hiring and discrimination with respect to existing employment.

Private employers, however, are not prohibited from discriminating in hiring. Section 525(b) provides that “[n]o private employer may terminate the employment of, or discriminate with respect to employment against, an individual who is or has been a debtor under this title…solely because such debtor or bankrupt…

I'm not sure if I see your response. Did you answer my questions?
WALLSTREETESQ : Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarificati ON
WALLSTREETESQ : This is a common situation,
WALLSTREETESQ : in terms of a rental your credit would be poor, and obtaining a new apartment to rent will be difficult, you would need a co signor in most places.
WALLSTREETESQ : In terms of a job, a credit check is rare, and a bankruptcy filing should not hurt you,
WALLSTREETESQ : it would not show up on a background check.
WALLSTREETESQ : The Bankruptcy Code includes provisions specifically prohibiting discrimination in employment based on an employee’s filing a bankruptcy.
Filing bankruptcy might improve my credit score correct? Since it'll wipe away the unsecured debt from my credit report right?
Yes, it would improve your score if it is already low, as it removes balances
Great, how long would my credit score take to improve once the debts have been discharged?
I have had clients that have raised their score to a 700 level within one year, expect in two years, for your credit to be much better.
WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney