How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask WALLSTREETESQ Your Own Question
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 17252
Experience:  14 years exp., CH 7 AND 13 Bankruptcy cases, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT NYSID AND ALL MAJOR UNIONS
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
WALLSTREETESQ is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I filed ch 7 almost a year ago because of a rental property.

This answer was rated:

I filed ch 7 almost a year ago because of a rental property. I was hoping to get the property back in a ch 13. The property was damaged in huricaine Sandy. I finally recieved a Flood insurance check and sent it to my second mortgage Bank to get it endorsed. They sent it back endorsed. I then brought it to the first mortgage bank to get it endorsed and the lady took it and said she would send it in overnight to the department that handles it. Its been over two weeks and I have heard nothing. I called the lady at the bank who sent it and asked for the address and name of the person who she sent the check too. I want to write a letter and explain that they are holding me up from getting the house repaired. Before the storm happened my attorney said I should try to keep the place rented and save the rent in order to help in a repayment plan in ch13. How long can the bank take and can I tell then they are responsible for me losing rent. Thank You.


Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarification


This is unfortunate, what you will need to do is go directly to the banks office, and speak to a representative, and have the bank manager handle the issue,


in my experience a letter does not work,


If the local branch manager will not help, consider having an attorney send a letter threatening legal action against the lender for their delay.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I was assuming that they were going to ask for proof of renovations or something like that, but I did not think it would take so long to respond.

Can I at least start with my letter and is it ok to say I am losing rent or is that not OK to say.


You should threaten legal action if they do not respond, and detail how you are losing money, I would still go to a local branch to see if they can help as well.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank You I am asking another question also separately.

good luck, thank you
WALLSTREETESQ and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you