How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 31788
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I file an extension but have not paid taxes in several years.

This answer was rated:

I file an extension but have not paid taxes in several years. I have a home based business and don't make a lot of money. The IRS sent me a form about not getting my taxes and they'll asses a fine etc, and I am considering bankruptcy. I was told by a friend that I'd have to have my tax situation resolved before I could file. Is that correct?
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Bankruptcy litigation attorney.

You don't have to be paid up on your taxes in order to file, BUT you do have to have at least the last two years' tax returns filed.

If you haven't filed tax returns for the past two years, you can't file until you do so.
Roger and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you