Fritz
Fritz, Attorney
Experience:  Florida attorney with extensive experience in Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 consumer bankruptcy cases
66229536

amending my Michigan bankruptcy schedule C, trustee said we

amending my Michigan bankruptcy schedule C, trustee said we have to add our tax refund to our exemptions. we are renters and do not own a home, so putting our 7,014 refund under the 522 (d) (5) code, will the entire refund be covered?

Fritz :

Hi, I'd like to assist you with your bankruptcy questions this afternoon.

Customer:

thank you

Fritz :

Since you are not claiming a homestead exemption, you can claim the unused portion of the homestead exemption up to $10,825 if filing alone.

Fritz :

Or up to $21,650 if filing jointly with your spouse.

Customer:

ok, shew! just wanted to make sure that applied to me since im not a home owner

Fritz :

You might want to double-check to make sure that you didn't use part of your wildcard exemption (Section 522(d)(5)) for any other personal property you claimed as exempt.

Customer:

only for $92

Fritz :

Then you shouldn't have a problem.

Customer:

thank you