Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Bankruptcy Law

This question gas to do with personal Bankruptcy. My son who

Customer Question
has some learning disabilities is now...
This question gas to do with personal Bankruptcy. My son who has some learning disabilities
is now an adult. He on his own signed up for an online collage course a couple of years ago ane to pay for it was directed to a government loan program. He was not able to complete the course yet has been charged through some government student loan about 9,000. dollars. He has been mostly unemployed for the last 4 years because of his disabilities. He has been able to work his brother inlaws business part time for a week or two at a time. The collection agency connected to the loan has been threatening to garnish his small wage that he is able to make. My question is seeing as this is a federal government loan would his filing personal bankrupcy be of any help to him ?
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
2/11/2013
Bankruptcy Lawyer: cfortunato, Attorney replied 4 years ago
cfortunato
cfortunato, Attorney

cfortunato :

Hi - my name is Chris and I'm a Bankruptcy attorney here to assist you.

cfortunato :

Unfortunately, all student loans are not dischargeable in a Bankruptcy. It does not matter if the loan is a government loan or a private loan.

cfortunato :

However, your son's wages cannot be garnished if he takes home less than $217.50 per week when he does work.

JACUSTOMER-zs89iso0- :

Thank you for answering my question. I would give you the "Good Service" rating

cfortunato :

You're welcome!

cfortunato :

And thank you for providing a positive rating!

cfortunato
cfortunato
cfortunato, Attorney