How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 39182
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im $85,000 in credit card debt. Have been unemployed for 12

This answer was rated:

I'm $85,000 in credit card debt. Have been unemployed for 12 years because of a jealous boyfriend, who scammed me & then left me. Current with monthly payments until now, because of help from my elderly mother, whose money has run out, and friends who can't help anymore. I was borrowing from Peter to pay Paul. Charging things for others so that I could have money to make payments and live on. I was hoping for some kind of miracle. I can't do this anymore! My back is to the wall! Can I file for bankruptcy? Everything I read said that I need proof of income and tax forms, that I don't have. I don't even know if my boyfriend claimed me as his dependent. What can I do? Help!


If you file for Chapter 7, then you do not need to have any income. If you have only debt and no assets, your debts will be discharged and you will get a fresh start. A "no asset" case, many times, is easy enough to "do-it-yourself." See this link.

Hope this helps.
socrateaser and 2 other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

They won't deny me if I can't produce copies of taxes or W2's?