How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 5156
Experience:  37 plus years of experience specializing in bankruptcy law
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I filed bankrupcy in last year. My husband ran off with our

This answer was rated:

I filed bankrupcy in last year. My husband ran off with our return. Now I dont have the money to pay the trustees. What will happen if I dont pay them, They said they will reverse the BK then I wonder if I can refile if they do.
Over 34 years, I have assisted my clients with debt problems having filed more than 32000 Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 Bankruptcy petitions.
Why do you owe money to the trustee? For what?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

During the BK meeting we were told to turn over our tax return that we recieved in 2012. They said the money would be given to creditors

Ok. that makes sense. If you do not comply, the trustee will dismiss your case and your creditors can again pursue sue for collection. However, after six months, you can file again. Likewise, at that later time, you can provide to the court how the refund was spent. And so long that it was spent on necessities, like rent, food, car payments, you will be fine. Note, you cannot do that now as part of your current bankruptcy as your BK was apparently not filed correctly and you did not claim, or could not claim the refund as an exmept asset. So please do seek an attorney's help the next time around.
dylatess and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Bankruptcy Law Questions