Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

Is it usall for a collector to have you put money in there

Is it usall for a collector to have you put money in there account

Kirk Adams : Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Bankruptcy litigation attorney.
Kirk Adams : Are you referring to a direct deposit into the creditor's checking account?
Customer:

Into there buiness account

Kirk Adams : Ok. Thanks.
Kirk Adams : That's a little unusual. In most situations, you would either present a check, money order, cashier's check, etc. to the creditor and it would then deposit the funds in its account.
Kirk Adams : Did the creditor give you a reason for handling the transaction this way/
Customer:

No

Kirk Adams : Ok.
Kirk Adams : It's not illegal for the creditor to request this, but it is a little strange.
Customer:

To be honest by the time he was dome he had me shaking in my boots

Kirk Adams : As long as you can get a receipt evidencing your payment and there's no issue with that, then I don't see any specific problem with paying in this manner.
Customer:

Ok thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a few of these situations, and never had to pay like that. So i just wanted to check

Kirk Adams : It's just not the usual way creditors are paid.
Customer:

I know

Kirk Adams : They apparently have a reason for this - - maybe its so the funds are verified before deposit so the creditor doesn't have to deal with a bounced check, etc.
Customer:

I looked up the company and it is real

Customer:

that would make sence

Kirk Adams : To me, that's the most obvious reason. But, there's no harm in asking so you know - - it will give you peace of mind.
Customer:

Ok thank you for your time. I will

Kirk Adams : No problem. Glad to help.
Customer:

The thirty dollars is all yours

Kirk Adams : Well, I get a portion of the fee and JA gets the rest! In order for me to be compensated for my time, you have to positively rate our conversation. Thanks so much and let me know if you have any additional questions.
Customer:

If i gave you the name of the agency could you tell me if they were real or if you have heard of them

Kirk Adams : Usually, the best way to determine whether or not the business is legitimate is to look them up on the Better Business Bureau's website (www.bbb.org). If you can find the company there and they have a positive rating, then you can trust it. If the business is NOT listed on the website then you probably need to do so additional research before paying over your money.