WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Experience:  14 years exp., CH 7 AND 13 Bankruptcy cases, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT NYSID AND ALL MAJOR UNIONS
16356563

I am being sued for nonpayment of a credit card debt. I also

I am being sued for nonpayment of a credit card debt. I also have other credit card debts. Can filing bankruptcy stop this suit? The hearing is scheduled for Feb 1, 2013. I am on disability and cannot afford a lawyer. I recently got divorced over this whole financial thing and have been left with little but debt. I am struggling with living situation on a whole.

WALLSTREETESQ :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarificati on

WALLSTREETESQ :

A bankruptcy would wipe out all your credit card debts, and stop the current lawsuit,

WALLSTREETESQ :

once you file a bankruptcy a creditor cannot bring any legal actions against you

WALLSTREETESQ :

If you file bankruptcy you would no longer need to go to the hearing or bother with the suit as it would be discharged

Customer: At this point I still need to take the class, do you think there is time.? The hearing on my first cc is 2.1.13
Customer: I have extensive debt
WALLSTREETESQ :

the certificate course can be done over the internet and you can receive the certificate in a few hours, so you can file a bankruptcy within 1-2 days

WALLSTREETESQ :

you should order a credit report, and take the pre filing certificate

Customer: Would I need to still go to the Feb hearing?
WALLSTREETESQ :

not if you file before the court date

Customer: It sounds kind of cut and dry. I know it is not an easy task but can it be that timely?
WALLSTREETESQ :

yes, it should not take more then a few days,

WALLSTREETESQ :

the certificate can be done today,

Customer: Ok thank you
WALLSTREETESQ :

and you need to have a credit report to list all your debts,