How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 31770
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My bankruptcy case was dismissed 4 months ago. I was recently

This answer was rated:

My bankruptcy case was dismissed 4 months ago. I was recently advised that I could petition the court to reopen my case. What rule would I use in the motion? I've seen samples that use rule 9023, but that appears to have a limit. Is Rule 5010 appropriate to use? or any other?
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Bankruptcy litigation attorney. Thanks for your question.

You can cite Rule 5010 ( and 11 USC 350(b) (
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

And they won't fall back on 9023 to tell me no?

Rule 9023 deals with requesting a new trial or to amend a judgment. Since your case was dismissed, there is no judgment from which to seek a new trial or an amendment.

9023 shouldn't have anything to do with a motion to reopen your bankruptcy if it was dismissed.
Roger and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you