How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 39045
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i filed bankruptcy and it was discharged in 2007, chpt 7.

This answer was rated:

i filed bankruptcy and it was discharged in 2007, chpt 7. GMAC, car loan will not report a zero balance even though I have aletter from them saying they got the car back and as long as it was included in bankruptcy I would have a zero balance. I called them and they said they will continue to report a balance due. What can I do?

The law here is somewhat "thin." However, in the case of In re Torres, 367 B.R. 478 (NY BANKR SD 5/3/2007), the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of NY ruled that a creditor's failure to update information previously supplied to credit reporting agencies could constitute act to extract payment of debts, in violation of discharge injunction, even if Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) did not require creditor to correct information, and no additional collection activity was undertaken, where information currently on file with agencies indicated that discharged debts were current liabilities. 11 U.S.C.A. § 524(a)(2); Fair Credit Reporting Act, § 623(a), 15 U.S.C.A. § 1681s–2(a).

Assuming that the Indiana Bankruptcy court would concur with this NY ruling, if you have provided written notice to the creditor and to the credit reporting agencies (;; that the reported debt was discharged in bankruptcy, and the information in the credit report has not been updated, then you would have grounds to file a motion for contempt with the bankruptcy court to force compliance, pay your actual damages, if any, caused by the incorrect report information, and to pay your attorney's fees and costs of suit.

Alternatively, you could sue the creditor and each of the three credit reporting agencies directly under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), which provides for a $1,000 civil damage award for each willful violation by a creditor or agency. However, the bankruptcy court action would be easier and faster, and you could potentially use the FCRA authority as a means of convincing the bankruptcy court to levy the same civil damage award (which would be $4,000 in the aggregate, if you sue everyone simultaneously [or, actual damages if you can prove any -- hard to do] -- plus your attorney's fees and costs of suit).

For a bankruptcy attorney referral, see this link.

Hope this helps.
socrateaser and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you