cfortunato
cfortunato, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.
14232603

When I get to the courthouse my tax forms will not have hit

When I get to the courthouse my tax forms will not have hit the IRS. I will have copies of the form. Is that sufficient?

cfortunato :

Hi JACustomer,

cfortunato :

When you said, "When I get to the courthouse...", did you mean filing the Bankruptcy petition?

Customer:

Yes. We had to get a extension from December 3rd until Jan3rd. However the taxes were not completed and we will have to ask for a further extension. Does that occur?

Customer:

This is a Trustee hearing.

cfortunato :

Do you have copies of the tax return(s)?

Customer:

No. They said 2011 but we are having problems getting them done. Why would we need other returns?

Customer:

Is it possible to get an extension.

cfortunato :

Thank you for your response.

cfortunato :

Yes - the Bankruptcy trustee can grant another extension of time to submit the tax returns.

cfortunato :

If today's meeting is solely for the purpose of submitting the tax returns, then you (or your attorney) should call the trustee's office to explain that you do not yet have the returns, to see what he wants you to do.

cfortunato :

To see if he wants you to show up for the meeting, or if he grants an extension on the phone.

Customer:

Should we go to the court as our attorney will be there and we can't contact her.before the time scheduled.

Customer:

I am unable to contact the judge or attorney

cfortunato :

Yes - if you cannot contact your attorney, then you should definitely go to the court.