Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Bankruptcy Law

Currently fired by a local bank. Can I file bankruptcy on

Customer Question
Currently fired by a local...
Currently fired by a local bank. Can I file bankruptcy on debt issued by them if it is unsecured and I can not afford to pay it without losing my pension and 401k plan?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/12/2012
Bankruptcy Lawyer: Ellen, Attorney replied 5 years ago
Ellen, Attorney
This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*
Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!
Don't Forget that the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service ! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the law .
Yes you can :-)
Both Ohio and federal law protect pensions and 401(k)'s from the claims of most unsecured creditors. 401(k)'s and a pension may only be attached for taxes and child support. In addition, unemployment compensation is also protected from creditor claims
Ellen, Attorney